- HBO Max has ordered a two-part documentary about late actor Brittany Murphy from Blumhouse Television and Pyramid Productions. The order marks the first for Blumhouse Television with HBO Max.
- The documentary presents an in-depth, intimate character portrait exploring the life and career and mysterious circumstances surrounding the tragic death of 90’s actress and rising star, Brittany Murphy. The series will go beyond the conspiracy theories and headlines, featuring new interviews by those closest to Brittany and new archival footage.
- Jennifer O’Connell (executive vice president, Non-Fiction and Live-Action Family Programming, HBO Max)quote: “Our Brittany Murphy documentary cuts through the tabloid noise with an elevated, nuanced depiction of a sensational story. Crafting a grounded account of Brittany Murphy’s life struggles and sudden passing comes with great responsibility and we’ve partnered with a masterful creative team to produce a thoughtful examination of a tragedy that has long been cause for speculation.”
- Mary Lisio (executive vice president, Alternative and Non-Scripted Programming, Blumhouse Television) quote: “Brittany Murphy was a rising star whose filmography includes movies that defined a generation. We thought her story warrants a deeper exploration, and examination into the environment that allowed her to become a victim of success. We’re thrilled to be partnering with HBO Max, and to collaborate with a director like Cynthia Hill who takes a nuanced approach to complex stories about women and contemporary issues.”
- Cynthia Hill (director) quote: “I agreed to do this film because I think it’s a shame that Brittany’s promising life and career has been eclipsed by the circumstances of her death. I think it’s important to celebrate Brittany’s talent as we struggle to explain the tragic circumstances of her and Simon’s deaths.”
- Credits: Directed by Emmy®-nominated Cynthia Hill (“Private Violence”), the Untitled Brittany Murphy project is executive produced by Emmy®-winner Jason Blum, Chris McCumber, Jeremy Gold, Mary Lisio for Blumhouse and James Buddy Day (“The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell”). The docuseries is produced by Blumhouse Television (“The Jinx,” “Sharp Objects”) and Pyramid Productions ("Fall River" produced with Blumhouse Television).
About HBO Max
HBO Max® is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer offering, with 10,000 hours of curated premium content. HBO Max offers best in class quality entertainment, featuring the greatest array of storytelling for all audiences with the iconic brands of HBO, Warner Bros., DC, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and much more. Most HBO subscribers in the U.S. have access to HBO Max as part of their HBO subscription and can visit HBOMax.com for more details.
Blumhouse is known for pioneering a new model of studio filmmaking: producing high-quality micro-budget films and provocative television series. Regarded as the driving force in the horror renaissance, Blumhouse has produced over 150 movies and television series with theatrical grosses amounting to over $4.8 billion. The company has produced iconic, genre, film franchises like Halloween, Paranormal Activity, The Purge, and prolific films like Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man; Glass, The Visit and Split from M. NIght Shyamalan; Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman; Get Out from Jordan Peele; among several others. Blum’s television company operates in horror programming - with streaming anthology series like Welcome to the Blumhouse for Amazon and Into the Dark for Hulu - and has also expanded beyond genre with provocative and acclaimed scripted and unscripted series and documentaries, such as The Good Lord Bird, starring Academy Award nominee Ethan Hawke, for Showtime; The Loudest Voice, starring Golden Globe winner Russell Crowe for Showtime; A Wilderness of Error (FX); The Jinx for HBO; A Secret Love, from executive producer Ryan Murphy, for Netflix; and lauded HBO series Sharp Objects, starring Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson, among others.
About Pyramid Productions
Pyramid Productions has won numerous accolades for their thought provoking and stylized original programming including, Friends Speak, Charles Manson: The Final Words, Sex, Lies & Murder, and The Shocking Truth for REELZ. Pyramid Productions' principle is James Buddy Day an award winning true crime producer, showrunner, writer and director for numerous television and feature documentaries. Buddy’s work has been showcased in numerous film festivals, and featured in national publications such as The Today Show, Rolling Stone, TMZ, The Daily Mail, Billboard, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. Buddy’s works include, The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell for Oxygen/Texas Crew Productions, & The Disappearance of the Millbrook Twins for Oxygen/Texas Crew Productions/Will Packer Media. Mason: The Women for Oxygen/Glass Entertainment, The Lovers’ Lane Murders Oxygen/Texas Crew Productions/XG Productions, Charles Manson: The Funeral for REELZ/MyEntertainment, and The Slender Man Stabbing: The Untold Story for REELZ/Dorsey Pictures.