Programming Tribute Airing on March 18 to Include Singin’ in the Rain (1952) & On the Town (1949)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will celebrate the life and career of iconic director and choreographer Stanley Donen with a five-film tribute on Monday, March 18. Donen, who passed away on Feb. 21 at the age of 94, collaborated with actor and director Gene Kelly as a choreographer before making his directorial debut alongside Kelly with 1949’s On the Town. He went on to be responsible for some of Hollywood’s most glittering movie musicals and directed such talents as Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. In 1998, he earned an honorary Academy Award® “in appreciation of a body of work marked by grace, elegance, wit and visual innovation.”
The following is the complete schedule for TCM's tribute to Stanley Donen:
TCM Remembers Stanley Donen – Monday, March 18
- 8:00 p.m. Private Screenings: Stanley Donen (2006) - Director Stanley Donen discusses his life and career with host Robert Osborne.
- 9:00 p.m. Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – A silent-screen swashbuckler finds love while trying to adjust to the coming of sound.
- 11:00 p.m. On the Town (1949) – Three sailors wreak havoc as they search for love during a whirlwind 24-hour leave in New York City.
- 1:00 a.m. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) – When their older brother marries, six lumberjacks decide it’s time to go courting for themselves.
- 3:00 a.m. Royal Wedding (1951) – A brother-and-sister musical team find romance when they tour to London for Elizabeth II's wedding.
- 5:00 a.m. It’s Always Fair Weather (1955) – World War II buddies get mixed up with gangsters and an egotistical TV star when they hold a 10-year reunion.
For more information, please visit: http://myt.cm/Donen
(All times Eastern)
About Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is a two-time Peabody Award-winning network that presents great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world highlighting the entire spectrum of film history. TCM features the insights from Primetime host Ben Mankiewicz along with hosts Alicia Malone and Dave Karger, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests and serves as the ultimate movie lover destination. Currently in its 25th year as a leading authority in classic film, TCM offers critically acclaimed series like The Essentials, along with annual programming events like 31 Days of Oscar® in February and Summer Under the Stars in August. TCM also directly connects with movie fans through events as the annual TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, the TCM Big Screen Classics series in partnership with Fathom Events, as well as through the TCM Classic Film Tour in New York City and Los Angeles. In addition, TCM produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs, and hosts a wealth of material online at tcm.com and through the Watch TCM mobile app.
Turner, a WarnerMedia company, is a global entertainment, sports and news company that creates premium content and delivers exceptional experiences to fans whenever and wherever they consume content. These efforts are fueled by data-driven insights and industry-leading technology. Turner owns and operates some of the most valuable brands in the world, including Adult Swim, Bleacher Report, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, CNN, ELEAGUE, Great Big Story, HLN, iStreamPlanet, TBS, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), TNT, truTV and Turner Sports.
Connect with Turner Classic Movies
Twitter: twitter.com/tcm | twitter.com/tcmpr
TCM Store: shop.tcm.com
Watch TCM app available for iOS and Android Platforms.