Turner Sports will present Capital One’s The Match, the Sports Emmy-nominated premier live golf event series, which will feature World Golf Hall of Famer Phil Mickelson — following his historic 2021 PGA Championship win — and seven-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady teeing off against 2020 U.S. Open Champion Bryson DeChambeau and reigning NFL league MVP Aaron Rodgers on Tuesday, July 6.
Live coverage will begin at 5 p.m. ET, simulcast across TNT, TBS and truTV, with Capital One’s The Match Pre-Match Show presented by Autotrader offering an inside look at the four competitors. Previously announced commentators for Capital One’s The Match can be seen here and below. Bleacher Report will also provide exclusive live content leading up to and during the event, including Range Battles presented by Capital One at 4 p.m., on the B/R App and B/R YouTube channel.
In association with Capital One’s The Match, donations will be made to benefit My Brother's Keeper Alliance, Feeding America, and the Montana Food Bank Network. Capital One's The Match will also feature on-course competitive challenges to help raise additional awareness and funding for these important initiatives.
Capital One's The Match Beneficiaries
My Brother’s Keeper Alliance
My Brother's Keeper (MBK) Alliance, an initiative of the Obama Foundation, leads a national call to action to build safe and supportive communities where boys and young men of color are valued and have clear pathways to opportunity. In addition to a minimum donation of $1 million made by WarnerMedia to the Obama Foundation, among other funding raised throughout Capital One’s The Match, Turner Sports is partnering with the MBK Alliance to provide a unique opportunity for five ambassadors to participate in working roles at the event. These five ambassadors, part of MBK Alliance's Chicago program, will contribute in various roles associated with the live telecast including production, talent relations, camera and technical operations.
Feeding America & Montana Food Bank Network
Turner Sports, in coordination with Wheels Up and its Meals Up initiative, will also be donating a minimum of one million meals to Feeding America – with a portion going to the local Montana Food Bank Network – leveraging the platform of Capital One’s The Match to help raise awareness and funding for hunger relief efforts.
Special On-Course Challenges
Capital One's The Match will feature a number of on-course challenges, raising additional charitable donations for the event’s beneficiaries including:
- Capital One Club Challenge for up to $500,000 to My Brother's Keeper Alliance
- On hole 14, each player will pick one club and use only that club for the entirety of the hole
- A $250,000 donation will be made in the winning team's name, with an additional $250,000 donated for a birdie or better
- The format of this hole is better ball and not modified alternate shot
- Progressive Insurance Closest to the Hole Challenge for up to $5 million to My Brother's Keeper Alliance
- On holes 5 and 12, the following donations will be made based on how close the players are able to land their tee shot to the hole: $250,000 if within 2-5 feet from the hole, $500,000 if within 2 feet from the hole, or $5 million if a player sinks a hole-in-one
- DraftKings Sportsbook Driving Challenge for up to two million meals to Feeding America
- On the 777-yard hole 8, each player will drive the ball and meals will be donated based on distance from the tee: 300,000 meals for each drive over 300 yards, 400,000 for over 400 yards, and 500,000 for over 500 yards
- HBO Max $9.99 Challenge for up to 999,999 meals to Feeding America
- On the drivable hole 9, the winning team will have 250,000 meals donated in their name
- If that team wins with a birdie, then 500,000 total meals will be donated; 999,999 meals will be donated if there is an eagle
- Blockfolio by FTX To The Moon Long Drive Challenge for up to $1 million to charity
- On hole 6, the pro golfers and the amateur golfers will separately face off against each other to see who can drive the ball furthest from the tee
- Space Jam: A New Legacy Challenge Hole
- On hole 16, 250,000 meals will be donated to Feeding America in the winning team's name
- A total of 500,000 meals will be donated if the team wins the hole with a birdie; if both teams birdie the hole, one million meals will be donated
- If there is a hole-in-one, $5 million will be donated to My Brother's Keeper Alliance
- Corona Premier Swing for the Sand Tracker
- Throughout the event, 25,000 meals will be donated to Feeding America each time a player hits into the sand
- An additional 25,000 meals will be donated if a team uses the ball that went in the sand as the next shot
- UKG and Corona Premier Hole-In-One Challenges
- On holes 2 (sponsored by UKG) and 7 (sponsored by Corona Premier), if a player sinks a hole in one, a $5 million donation will be made
Range Battles presented by Capital One
Bleacher Report will host an exclusive live stream event in the lead up to Capital One’s The Match – Range Battles presented by Capital One on the B/R app and the Bleacher Report YouTube channel starting at 4 p.m.
Hosted by top online creators MMG and Deestroying, the interactive show will feature Mickelson, Brady, DeChambeau, and Rodgers competing head-to-head in a driving range competition with the goal of hitting a mobile golf cart for points. Special celebrity guests will also appear in Range Battles, which will include a challenge segment featuring quick-hitting golf-styled competitions.
Throughout the live stream, fans at home will be prompted to make selections in the B/R app on various challenge outcomes for the chance to win cash prizes.
Turner Sports' exclusive event coverage will feature a lineup of special guests and surprise appearances via satellite, headlined by Wheels Up Ambassador Wayne Gretzky – the NHL's all-time leading scorer and recently announced Turner Sports NHL studio analyst. During event coverage, a vignette featuring Montana Food Bank Network CEO & President Gayle Carlson will air focused on the efforts of Montana’s only statewide food bank to address the unique challenges of accessing food in the state.
Event Marketing Partners
Turner Sports is proud to be working with a robust roster of marketing partners to host Capital One's The Match. Capital One is returning as title sponsor and will collaborate closely with Turner Sports on a number of social, digital and broadcast integrations leading up to and during the live event, including presenting sponsor of Range Battles and extensive branded content integrations across platforms. To learn more about the company and its commitments to change banking for good, visit https://www.capitalone.com/about/our-commitments/.
"We’re proud to sponsor Capital One’s The Match for the fourth time. Not only has Capital One’s The Match become a must-see TV event, but it also supports high-impact non-profit organizations that Capital One is pleased to be a partner of already,” said Andy Navarrete, Capital One Executive Vice President and Head of External Affairs. “Through the Capital One Impact Initiative, we partner with My Brother’s Keeper and have granted them $1.3 million to foster transformative mentoring relationships that help close gaps in equity and ensure that young men of color have access to real opportunity. We also have provided support to Feeding America with a $1 million grant to advance their efforts to help communities working to eliminate food insecurity. We look forward to another wonderful event that shines a light on these organizations’ important work."
Autotrader will be the presenting sponsor of Capital One’s The Match’s pre-show coverage. Presenting partners include Corona Premier, Blockfolio by FTX, and Progressive Insurance. DraftKings is returning as content integration partner, with AT&T, Apple, Callaway Golf, HBO Max, E-Z-GO, Taco Bell, Wheels Up, UKG and ZipRecruiter serving as associate partners.